Thursday, March 11, 2010

To cut a long one short..

    I like long sentences.

    To be more precise, I like sentences which, unlike those that you find yourself uttering all your life in most acoustic forms of communication, are generously worded, as lavishly punctuated as can be, precariously worked upon (can be compromised with skill) and polished to verbal perfection, posed to leave the casual reader lost for an interpretation, offering to him their true arguments and implications only upon atleast a second reading, holding him back and drawing his attention as less complicated wayward statements of thought seldom can, stimulating those mental faculties that, in a sizable portion of the populace, lay dormant until presented with a stimulus that to them seems vivid enough to be worthy of their consideration, the parsing of which calls for marked patience and a realisation of the oft ignored importance of every single comma and colon, and which, while not all the time resorting to pentasyllabic words or far-fetched metaphors, manage to leave the casual reader stumped for a few seconds by the sheer complexity in their structure and formulation, and at the same time are not vague rantings of an incongruous mind, but at the end of all the effort, convey to the patient (or skilled, perhaps) interpreter the precise ideas and bits of information that the writer meant them to.

    So yes, I like long sentences.

    From what I've heard, the supposedly phenomenal Ulysses, by James Joyce, has, in its last chapter, a sentence consisting of over 12,000 words. (I've heard lots about that book. Should read someday.) In contrast, my personal best happens to be a page long on a scribbling pad on the futilities of the Indian educational system (an all-time favourite topic; definitely a post on that soon).

Now, I have two theories as to why I like using long sentences:

1)  I try to cover up my inadequacies in writing in terms of lack of involving content and inability to present in a humourous or forceful manner my thoughts.

2)  The "intellectual stimulation" they provide appeals to my rarely exercised

   It is not for me to comment on the first point, but as for the second, I always preferred House M.D. to sitcoms, and Memento or The Usual Suspects to American Pie. Humour, of course, is a different aspect and commands importance on its own merits.

    The brain, I have often heard, is much like any other muscle in the body- it can be exercised to further its potential greatly, but the exercise is not to cease if one wishes to keep one's bean toned and up for action. Disuse begets slackening. In accord, it is essential to occasionally engage in activities that strain one's mental capabilities, reasoning, lingual or otherwise, and which are at the same time fun. Framing or even parsing "long sentences" (see definition above), for example, is one such activity. (Avoidance of anything related to the study of Chemistry is a significant other)

     These and a couple of other as wondrous and perhaps as individualistic activities such as my harmonica and some sociology fill up whatever free time I get. Trust me, its fun to be busy. :)

2 comments:

  1. As far as i have noticed wen u speak u don't use long sentences..............i agree with the last line its fun to be busy coz wen u r free watever u do...even though it maybe for 5 minutes....its fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant da. And we have same entertainment taste. :D

    ReplyDelete