Thursday, June 16, 2011

What to name it?

#18 - A song that you wish you heard on the radio


While M.S.Viswanathan might be my favourite and A.R.Rahman might be known all over the world, it is my belief that no one has contributed more to Tamil music than Ilayaraja. He brought to an erstwhile hugely, though not entirely, Karnatic-based area the influence of various musical traditions from across the world. So I am told, for, unfortunately, I am not very familiar with most of his work - a mistake that I hope to correct soon enough.

If I was to be surprised on the radio or wherever with a song, I would like it to be the following, which has one of the best melodic lines I've ever heard.


"Poovil Vandu", from Kadhal Oviyam, by Ilayaraja, sung by S.P.Balasubramaniam.

No comments:

Post a Comment